Zero carbon* water treatment system protects rivers and reduces carbon footprint for contractors.
Managing surface water from construction sites provides a major economic and environmental challenge.
- Muddy water is a pollutant and cannot be discharged from a construction site without treatment and an environmental permit, CAR permit or exemption
- Traditional settlement lagoons are not able to separate fine clay particles from water, leading to increased costs for water treatment prior to discharge
- Operating pumps as part of a water treatment system is expensive (hire costs and fuel) and has a high carbon footprint
Water LynxTM is gaining a reputation across the construction industry for being the most cost-effective method for separating clay particles from water prior to discharge.
Zero Carbon Silt Management
frog environmental has been working with key partners in the construction industry to develop a zero carbon* version of the same system for removing fine clay particles from water.
Gravity operated Pipe Reactor and Silt Capture Channels are now in operation on construction sites across the UK.
The treatment process, using Water Lynx, is the similar to the pumped system but relies on differential head for the flow of muddy water, eliminating the need for pumps thereby saving money and improving sustainability.
Carbon and Financial Savings
Site topography is a limiting factor to the operation of a gravity fed water treatment system but with better planning many of our customers already using pumped systems could partly or wholly be using gravity fed systems and reducing their carbon footprint and costs.
Clean water coming from the silt capture channel
The summary table below shows a potential annual cost saving of over £10,000.00 along with 12 tonnes of CO2.
|Solution||Number of Pumps||Pump Hire Cost (£/Year)||Total fuel (Litres/Year)||Fuel Cost (£/Year)||CO2 (Tonnes/year)||Labour / Supervision|
|Pumped water treatment system||1||£7,800||5,460||£3,276||12.42||Daily|
|Gravity fed water treatment system||0||0||0||0||0||Weekly|
Supporting the Construction Industry
As well as supporting the construction industry in protecting watercourses, frog environmental is also focused on providing low carbon solutions, thereby helping the industry achieve its ambitious sustainability objectives. frog environmental are the UK distributors for the Clearflow Group.
Early involvement and a more pro-active approach to silt management can save money and improve sustainability performance for contractors, as well as protecting against the risk of fines and prosecution arising from silt pollution.
For further advice on managing silt from construction sites contact frog environmental. For quick guidance we have produced a free Silt Control Toolbox Talk, to support improved knowledge and understanding of the issue within the construction industry.
*zero carbon in operation
- Cost of 4” pump hire is £150/week
- Each 4” pump is run 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year
- 105 litres of fuel per week based on 3 refills of 35 litre tank.
- Cost of red diesel is £0.60 per litre
- Emission factor of 2.72417 kg/CO2 per litre of red diesel (UK Government GHG Conversion Factors for Company Reporting).